I heard about this new book, Notes to a Software Team Leader, on a podcast on my way to work this morning. Below is the “Manifesto” of the book; upon reading it I feel the book has potential to have insightful and helpful content – I think it aligns with Nexus’s values in unique and surprising ways.
- We believe the role of a team leader is to grow the people in their team
- We believe in adjusting the leadership style to the current needs of the team, over a single style of leadership
- We believe in challenging ourselves and our teams to always get better, so:
- We embrace taking risks for our team over staying safe
- We embrace fear and discomfort as learning new skills
- We embrace experimentation as a daily practice
- With people
- With tools
- With processes
- With the environment
- We believe team leaders lead people, not machines, so:
- We embrace spending more time with our team than in meetings
- We embrace learning people skills and techniques
This is a unique “book” – at least, it’s being written in a unique way. It’s not done yet, and if you feel you have something important to say about software team leadership, you can submit a contribution to the book.